Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Interesting Places: Caves of the Hruk-chang

This map started out as a doodle on a small note pad of graph paper. I spent maybe 40 minutes sketching out the passages. Then I digitally tweaked the image to its final form. I never think too hard about these maps while I draw them. As a result, it's always fun for me to look at the shapes which emerge. (I'd liken it to automatic-mapping, but there's nothing supernatural about it.)

There's not a lot of back story associated with this particular map. (In truth, I created it to test out a new monster.) The caves are themselves somewhat generic. Within, a number of passages are collapsed or otherwise sealed. This is by design. I also left off the scale so you can decide for yourself how big this place actually is. Twenty feet seems about right for my tastes, but don't let that stop you from making this the colossal, 100-foot-to-the-square, abode of some hideous, techno-giant for your sword & planet game.

You might place these caves along a vine-covered cliff deep within the rotting jungles of some forgotten world or in a northern wasteland of ice and snow. The caves could also be attached to a gargantuan cavern, just another detour amongst many in some dismal underworld. It's really up to you to decide how to interpret and use this map. As for the namesake of the place, that too is left as an exercise. I know what my Hruk-chang are. What are yours?

The Fine Print: I am sharing this map under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. If you follow that link you will be able to read about the conditions that apply to this work. In a nutshell: (a) you can't use it commercially, (b) you must attribute it to me, and (c) you must share any derivative works that you create.

3 comments:

Piaskownica M.P. said...

Very nice, looks really neat:).

JDJarvis said...

Cool map, thanks for sharing.

I like the dot-fill for all the subterranean areas, it makes the whole thing look grungier and more hazardous then a clean swept maze of 10' squares.

Dyson Logos said...

Fantastic map.

I'm like you, I just draw without thinking too much about what I'm making and then check out the final result, often surprised that I like it.