Thursday, October 14, 2010

RPG Art: Tegel Manor

Lately, I've been sprucing up the Calific office, hanging things that inspire me. One of my favorite haunted ruins from yesteryear is Judges Guild's Tegel Manor. There are so many things that I love about this product. Whatever you may think about Judges Guild, they definitely had a major impact on the hobby.

Recently, Bob Bledsaw's original map of Tegel Manor was reproduced and sold through Cafe Press by none other than Bob, Jr. I picked one up and had it framed. The result just came in and it's quite nice looking.


Whenever I see this I will definitely gravitate towards thinking about complex arrangements of rooms, rich detail, and color. What really piques my interest about this map is the quantity of information packed into it. Aside from the room labels, themselves, there are suggestive images, written details of sounds and other dressing, use of various colors, and so forth. It would be an interesting experiment to eschew the key and run the whole adventure from just the map (with a suitable collection of beasties, of course).

4 comments:

Scott said...

The Tegel map is a masterpiece. My "Mordant Manor" started off as just the Tegel map.

John said...

Sweet!

Boy does that map give me a lot to think about in terms of information presentation

limpey said...

Very spiffy! Is there any indication of what the colors mean? Green seems pretty clear from the context (plants), but yellow hallways, etc., pique my interest.

Norman Harman said...

Sorry to Necro post [this came up with google search, My campaign may head Tegel way...]

I often run almost entirely from map, esp dungeons I create myself (and 1/2 info still in my head). I put monster entries (2x ghouls, or maybe just "undead"), traps, treasures, (L)locked and (B)barred doors, flavor notes, and always random monster chart. For organized (tribal) denizens I mark paths of retreat and reinforcements.

This is mostly for "situational" awareness. So, looking at map I can see what might hear, react to party.