Wednesday, August 25, 2010

System Change

I can't seem to stick with any particular set of rules for very long. The current campaign started out with OD&D, got house ruled, and eventually sidelined for a heavily modified Holmes, which I named Holmes YX. Now I've gone and switched to Swords & Wizardry Core Rules. There are a lot of reasons behind this move. Publicly, I'll just say that now there's a vehicle for making available some of those YX rules I spent so much time developing.

I've also been doing a fair amount of work designing a new pantheon of deities for an update to the Yezmyr campaign. I'm quite pleased with the results thus far, and that really gives me pause, I had dropped clerics from play earlier in the year. Now I am reconsidering that move. Primarily, there is the fact that three of my players really run with the strange gods I tend to create. Why should I take that away from them. Moreover, S&W Core supports clerics and I really want to keep my S&W Core support full and clean.

4 comments:

Matthew W. Schmeer said...

We're still wishing for that Holmes YX to be released, you know.

Yesmar said...

Thanks, Matthew, but doing so could get me sued right off the face of the planet. Nonetheless, I think S&W Core would make a nice, highly compatible vehicle for getting my YX work out into the public. I suspect that if I tagged the YX specific stuff then you could actually graft those rules directly onto Holmes. (Hmmm. Now there's an idea.)

cyclopeatron said...

S&W Core is a great choice. If I were to start over and run any retro-clone by-the-book it would S&W Core. I think it's close to the perfect balance of too few and too many rules. I also have to admit I kind of like ascending AC because it plays a lot faster.

Yesmar said...

Cyclopeatron: I'm down with the heresy.