Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Eyrie of Eirik the Elder

Copyright © 2010, Ramsey Dow. All Rights Reserved.

Here's a map I drew maybe eighteen years ago. It's the tower of an old spell caster of mine, Eirik the Elder. Eirik specialized in controlling the winds.


What's most interesting to me about this map is that I can really see the level of influence Terry K. Amthor had on me in earlier years. No doubt it was all those wonderful Middle Earth adventures put out by Iron Crown Enterprises back in the day. Those things were filled with TKA's maps. I didn't play MERP all that much, but I sure read the hell out of all those old ICE adventures. In any case, I still really enjoy this style of map. It draws a stark contrast to the curtain wall approach employed by the upper level geomorphs of TSR.

Looking at this map I realize that I never actually keyed it up. Alas, most of the details regarding the place have been lost to the vestiges of time. Still, seeing this again after so many years makes me want to redraw it and key it up, this time perhaps as the tower of some fell wizard.

8 comments:

N. Wright said...

Some people have all the artistic talent.

Erin said...

Truly inspired. I like the cross section (with gibbet detail). The runes a great touch. I even like the "oops."

When you're famous, this original map will be worth a fortune!

mondbuchstaben said...

I have to admit, I don't see the MERP connection. I absolutely liked the MERP overland maps, and I absolutely abhorred the clinical dungeon maps (and I was very glad that they were all redone for the German edition of the modules).

OTOH, your map is a piece of art that reminds me of the TSR UK maps (UK modules and Pelinore maps from Imagine magazine) and very early WHFRP maps (by Paul Ruiz?) that had this British, down-to-earth touch and grasp of realistic, period architecture. The same with your tower map.

Yesmar said...

The TKA maps that were influential to me included Angmar and the Court of Ardor. I loved the maps of all the citadels in those two.

The maps were redone for the German editions? That's interesting. I'd love to take a look at some of those to compare.

Yesmar said...

Thanks for the kind words, all!

mondbuchstaben said...

I'd love to take a look at some of those to compare.

Just send me an e-mail to (my username above) at Googlemail and I'll send you a few scans.

Scott said...

Just stumbled across your blog. You're doing fantastic work - I can't tell you how much I envy people with a talent for mapping, as it's something at which I'm terrible.

I'm sure I'll be yoinking some of your Creative Commons pieces for home games, and if I post anything about them, I'll properly attribute them to you. Thanks for posting them!

Christian said...

That's a hell of a map. Nicely done!