Monday, March 15, 2010

Inspiration for the World of Yezmyr

Sometimes what you are not influenced by is interesting. I've long been a fan of weird fiction, but in creating Yezmyr I have purposefully eschewed HPL and CAS. I like bubbly pools of tentacular madness as much as anyone else, but I'm tired of it—like I'm tired of Tolkien. Yezmyr demands fresh horrors! (For what it's worth, if I were going to focus on horror, I'd look to Thomas Ligotti for inspiration.)

Similarly, I have a deep and abiding love of sword and sorcery fiction. REH's Conan yarns effectively created the genre. However, I'm tired of Conan. I prefer the revelations of ancient ruins in those stories. There's nothing like an ominous ruin to chill the blood. In any case, swords and spells alone just don't cut it for me any more. I want space, technology, chaos, and madness. I need it all.

The underpinnings of the World of Yezmyr owe an extreme debt of gratitude to a handful of talented writers and illustrators: Arthur C. Clarke, A.E. van Vogt, Rudy Rucker, Ray Kurzweil, Brian Aldiss, Harlan Ellison, Russ Nicholson, and Richard Corben. You should check out the work of each and every one of these people.

1 comment:

Blair said...

Fuck Yeah, AC Clarke & Harlan Ellison!