Tuesday, January 12, 2010

World of Yezmyr House Rules

The World of Yezmyr is my nontraditional fantasy campaign world. Right now we are playing in the world's grim sword & sorcery past. The world has multiple futures, however, and they touch on both SF and science-fantasy. (I posted about the genesis of the science-fantasy setting last year.) The world is a custom creation, although it is clearly influenced by things that I like.

We are playing a modified 1974 D&D. We use all of Supplement I and select rules cherry picked from Supplements II and III. We are not using Supplement IV, as I have written my own in similar style. (I posted descriptions of the Pantheon of Yezmyr last Sunday—how apropos.) Moreover, I have back ported all my favorite monsters from the Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, and Monster Manual II. In addition, I've added a bunch of my own devising. (One can never have enough monsters.) In the end, I suppose you could say that we are playing proto-AD&D.

The D&D rules as presented cover the majority of our needs. From combat to advancement, it's all there—and if it's not, we either role play it out or house rule it. We don't have a lot of house rules, though. After almost a year of play we only have nine:
  1. Ability scores are rolled the best 3 out of 4d6 and scores are arranged to taste.
  2. There are no illusionists, rangers, or druids.
  3. Characters get their full die of h.p. at 1st level.
  4. There are no alignment languages.
  5. Everyone picks a patron deity.
  6. Clerics don't need spellbooks; they pray for their spells.
  7. A spellcaster who is hit prior to getting a spell off loses the spell.
  8. To acquire new spells, magic-users must find scrolls, spellbooks, or a friendly higher-level caster who will let them copy spells.
  9. Characters are dead at 0 h.p.
I don't want to overdo it with house rules. I don't want us to get to a point where we find ourselves trapped in a baroque prison of our own construction. To that end, we've kept the house rules to a minimum and it's worked out well thus far.

No comments: