Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pied Piper Publishing announces DUNGEON SETS™


Well, it's official. The first batch of maps I was commissioned to draw for Rob Kuntz go on sale at Pied Piper Publishing tomorrow. DUNGEON SETS #1 (Levels 1-6) and DUNGEON SETS #2 (Levels 7-12) will become available at 12:00 noon CST. I'm pretty excited about these maps, because I got to design them as well as draw them. I've seen enough uninspired maps in recent years to have a vested interest in getting some real maps out there into the RPG marketplace. Here's a sample section from Level 8 showing a part of "The Cistern":



What's great about these maps is that they are fully drawn, but un-keyed. Virtually nothing is documented about them (other than a cross section and map legend, of course). What this means is that you, the referee, get to create everything about this place! One person's Level 1 will be wholly different than someone else's. I can't wait to see what people do with these levels. (I should note that there is nothing preventing you from using any game system you want—D&D, GAMMA WORLD, Empire of the Petal Throne, GURPS, etc.—with these levels.)

You can read more about DUNGEON SETS here, here, and here.

I am already hard at work mapping out DUNGEON SETS #3 (Levels 13-18) and DUNGEON SETS #4 (Levels 19-24), which will become available in the new year. There will also be some special DUNGEON SETS releases in the future, so keep your eyes peeled.

2 comments:

angelo said...

So... what's so great about maps without keys? I can understand if that's what you're creating, but why describe it as a plus? Can't I re-key the map if I don't like the key anyway?

Yesmar said...

It's a plus because if maps are what you're after then you don't have to worry about buying stuff you don't need (e.g., textual keys which you will abandon). To my way of thinking, that's a plus. I don't know about you, but I really don't like buying things knowing that I will be throwing away a percentage. DUNGEON SETS are a good resource for people who lack the time or inclination to create maps. That's their whole purpose.